These Homemade Bird Seed Ornaments are easy to make, and your backyard birds will love them. A few simple ingredients are all it takes for this great nature activity. DIY birdseed ornaments are a fun winter project to do with the kids too.
What you will need:
- Cookie Cutters
- 2.5 cups bird seed
- 2 packets of unflavored gelatin
- 3 tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- divided 1/4 cup lemon juice mixed with 1 cup water
- 4 drinking straws, cut into smaller pieces
- Twine or ribbon for hanging
- In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup cold water and 2 packets of gelatin.
- Pour in the 1/2 cup boiling water and mix well.
- Mix in corn syrup, stir.
- Mix in bird seed.
- Allow the mixture to sit in your refrigerator for about 30 minutes to partially set.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice your apples, the thicker the better, and then dip in the lemon juice mixed with water.
- Place dipped apple slices on parchment paper.
- Using the cookie cutter of your choice, cut out the center of the apple (over the core and seeds), being careful to leave enough room for a hole to be punched for the string.
- Take your birdseed mixture from the refrigerator and fill the cookie cutter hole; use a spoon to press the mixture into the center to pack them full.
- To create a hole for hanging, take a drinking straw and punch a hole a good distance from the outer edge of the ornament, but still towards the top.
- Put your Birdseed Ornaments in the refrigerator overnight.
- String the twine through the hole you made with the straw, tie it closed and hang outside for the birds to feast!